Job Title: Programme Manager
Responsible to: Executive Director
Responsible for: Project Managers/Officers
AFRIMUHERE was certified as an international NGO in June 2021 and launched in November 2021. AFRIMUHERE’s mandate is the conservation, safeguarding, and promotion of African cultural and natural heritage. Its specific objectives include fighting against the illicit trafficking in African heritage, facilitating the return of looted heritage to Africa, and contributing to heritage development through capacity building and intra-Africa and international exchanges.
The Programme Manager will oversee the design and implementation of AFRIMUHERE’s projects including preparing implementation plans, setting deadlines, assigning responsibilities, monitoring and evaluating, progress, and preparing periodic reports. This is a management position requiring good museology and heritage restitution subject matter knowledge. The holder will provide technical leadership and expertise in project implementation while facilitating the capacity strengthening of staff and partners in the implementation of projects.
- Duties and Responsibilities
- Define the scope and objectives of projects, involving all relevant internal stakeholders and ensuring technical feasibility
- Efficiently coordinate projects to ensure quality and timeous implementation of activities
- Ensure availability and optimal utilization of financial, human, and technological resources
- Oversee the development of annual and operational plans for the effective implementation of projects in alignment with organizational objectives
- Manage and oversee project operations in terms of reporting, administrative, logistics, procurement, budgeting, and oversight of the grants
- Manage changes to the project scope, project schedule, and project costs using appropriate verification techniques
- Create and maintain comprehensive project documentation and report and escalate to management as and when needed
- Establish new and cultivate existing relationships with key stakeholders to maximize AFRIMUHERE’s collaborations, impact, and visibility
- Undertake to monitor, and evaluation using appropriate tools and follow up on the programme to ensure that projects are on track to meet deliverables, minimize risk and work with the Executive Director and Project Managers to address challenges
- Attend conferences and training as required and continually develop leadership skills
- Actively engage in the heritage and restitution sector working groups and networks to stay abreast of the latest developments, innovations, and best practices and share with the AFRIMUHERE team
- identify potential strategic partners and relationships, supporting and at times leading on concept note and/or research design development
- Work with the Executive Director on reporting the progress /performance of projects to donors and participate in donor funding events as necessary
- Develop capacity build of project staff by providing on-job guidance, training, and coaching as required
- Represent the Executive Director and perform other duties as may be assigned from time to time
- Person Specification
- Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Heritage Studies, international development, monitoring, and evaluation or related field.
- At least 5 years experience in museology and heritage restitution or related environment
- Minimum 5 years experience in program management and contract grant management
- Demonstrated experience in issue advocacy and lobbying at a national level
- Experience in staff line management and development
- Demonstrated experience in strategic analysis, problem-solving, and team building and management
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Experience with project management software tools
- Project Management Professional certification will be an added advantage
- Fluent English, Fluent or proficient French highly desired
- Ability to work independently, (self-motivated) with strong time management skills
- Solid organizational skills including attention to detail and multitasking skills
- Demonstrate ability to prioritize and effectively manage competing work streams and deliverables
- Demonstratable sympathy and affinity with restitution of African heritage
- Diplomatic, with strong interpersonal skills, and a high degree of cultural sensitivity.
Confidentiality: The post holder has a responsibility to maintain confidentiality and ensure the principles of the General Data Protection Regulations.
Information Management/Data Quality: The post holder must ensure that AFRIMUHERE records are documented, secured, stored and disposed of appropriately.
Equal Opportunities: The AFRIMUHERE welcomes all persons without regard to gender, age, ethnicity, nationality, religion, marital or parental status or disability.
Salary is dependent on qualification and experience. Benefits include housing allowance, medical insurance, terminal benefits, annual leave, and relocation allowance.
Your application package (in word or pdf), should include a CV with names, addresses, telephone /e-mail contacts of three referees, and a motivation/cover letter detailing how you meet the qualifications, experience, and skills requirements for the job you are applying for.
Applications by email should reach the Chair of the search committee at firstname.lastname@example.org by the CLOSING DATE of 31st January 2023
To apply for this job please visit www.afrimuhere.org.