Job Title: Membership Officer
Responsible to: Executive Director
Responsible for: None
AFRIMUHERE was certified as an international NGO in June 2021 and launched in November 2021. AFRIMUHERE’s mandate is the conservation, safeguarding, and promotion of African cultural and natural heritage. Its specific objectives include fighting against the illicit trafficking in African heritage, facilitating the return of looted heritage to Africa, and contributing to heritage development through capacity building and intra-Africa and international exchanges.
Context: The main purpose of the Membership Officer is to ensure a strong, growing and engaged membership in all African countries by providing efficient membership management and support services. The Membership Officer primarily serves all AFRIMUHERE members and prospective members by timeously attending to their membership enquiries, applications, and renewals.
Purpose and Scope: In consultation with the Executive Director, the Membership officer will be expected to propose and implement individual and institutional membership recruitment strategies within the African cultural and natural heritage sectors including museums, art galleries, universities and communities. She/He will act as the primary point of contact for all enquiries about individual membership, providing an excellent level of service, converting prospects to members and ensuring current members renew.
The Membership Officer will maintain an efficient membership administration, including preparing invoices and updating the database, analysing and reporting on the state and trends in membership. They will develop plans and activities to meet retention and recruitment targets
This position requires strong, communication, marketing/public relations and database management skills.
Duties and Responsibilities
Major Duties & Responsibilities: The Membership Officer carries out tasks including:
- Work with the Executive Director to develop and implement membership recruitment strategies
- Provide excellent membership services, ensuring well-informed and prompt responses to membership enquiries, cost efficiency and system development
- Nurture AFRIMUHERE members’ relationships to clearly understand emerging trends, needs and aspirations
- Develop tools, and activities to ensure a smooth membership sign-up and payment process, as well as strong membership engagement
- Ensure the currency and accuracy of member records on the CRM database
- Develop an efficient membership subscription payments system including direct debits, invoices, reminders, and follows up on payments
- Provide regular data and statistical analysis to the Executive Director regarding recruitment & retention results versus set targets
- Provide consistently high-quality customer service to members and prospective members through all forms of communication including phone, email, webinars and face-to-face
- Train other staff on database inputting and data extraction where necessary
- Attendance at the team and organisational meetings as required
- Any other duties as may be reasonably expected, and which are commensurate with the level of the post.
- Qualifications and Experience
- Hold a Degree or Diploma in Marketing/Public Relations/Communications or a related field
- At least 2 years experience in working as a membership officer of a professional association or membership focussed projects
- Experience with Twitter, Instagram, Facebook & LinkedIn and other social media platforms for communication and marketing purposes
- Strong skills and experience in database management and control
- Proficient in using key applications such as Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Strong verbal and written communication
- Highly organised, with meticulous planning skills with attention to detail
- Experience working in a multi-tasking small team
- Strong networking skills and ability to develop professional relationships
- Understanding the role of museums, universities, art galleries and communities in heritage management, protection and restitution would be an added advantage
- Highly self-motivated
- Confident; able to communicate with people at all levels
- Friendly, approachable
- Able to work outside office hours on occasion and prepared to travel to events.
Confidentiality: The post holder has a responsibility to maintain confidentiality and ensure the principles of the General Data Protection Regulations.
Information Management/Data Quality: The post holder must ensure that AFRIMUHERE records are documented, secured, stored and disposed of appropriately.
Equal Opportunities: The AFRIMUHERE welcomes all persons without regard to gender, age, ethnicity, nationality, religion, marital or parental status or disability.
Salary is dependent on qualification and experience. Benefits include housing allowance, medical insurance, terminal benefits, annual leave, and relocation allowance.
Your application package (in word or pdf), should include a CV with names, addresses, telephone /e-mail contacts of three referees, and a motivation/cover letter detailing how you meet the qualifications, experience, and skills requirements for the job you are applying for.
Applications by email should reach the Chair of the search committee at firstname.lastname@example.org by the CLOSING DATE of 31st January 2023
To apply for this job please visit www.afrimuhere.org.