Job Title: Executive Director
Responsible to: Board of Directors
Responsible for: Programme Manager, Membership Officer, and Office Manager
AFRIMUHERE was certified as an international NGO in June 2021 and launched in November 2021. AFRIMUHERE’s mandate is the conservation, safeguarding, and promotion of African cultural and natural heritage. Its specific objectives include fighting against the illicit trafficking in African heritage, facilitating the return of looted heritage to Africa, and contributing to heritage development through capacity building and intra-Africa and international exchanges.
The Executive Director must be able to lead the organization as it embarks on a journey of establishment and process creation, adeptly shape organizational culture, carefully balancing the stability of processes with the dynamism of a bold and result-driven spirit. The Executive Director will develop and lead the strategic direction of AFRIMUHERE, providing the guiding organizational principles, articulating the strategic areas of focus, and managing membership and staff to achieve strategic goals.
AFRIMUHERE is largely an advocacy organization. The Executive Director will be expected to increase AFRIMUHERE’s profile and influence with policy-makers and decision-makers in the various institutions so as to meet the goal of conservation, safeguarding, and promotion of African cultural and natural heritage. S/he will provide overall leadership and vision, setting direction, ensuring the timely and effective implementation of priorities, inspiring and guiding the team.
This position requires one who understands and can move donors, mobilize and empower members, and lay a solid foundation and strategies that will actualize the vision of the founders. The Executive Director will be the primary point of contact for external relationship development and representing AFRIMUHERE in external fora.
- Duties and Responsibilities
- Organization Management and Development
- Liaise with the board on legal and policy issues
- Development and implementation of overall institutional policies and strategic plans
- Prepare and organize Board meetings, General Assemblies of members
- Provide strategic direction, development, planning, and management of the staff and programs
- Provide overall financial, HR, legal, and governance oversight and support for the organization
- Initiate and establish strategic partnerships with relevant organizations such as the African heritage institutions, the diaspora, and institutions holding African objects.
- Conceptualize, develop and implement regional, continental, and international projects and programmes for the development of African museums and the restitution of their heritage
- Demonstrate strong commitment to the Organisational mission, objectives, and priorities
- Assess organisational risks and identify mitigating measures and advice the Board accordingly
- Coordinate and edit the organization’s publications
- Resource Mobilisation
- Elaborate and implement a resource mobilisation strategy
- Formulate, implement monitoring of budgets, and expenditures
- building relationships and raising income from private and institutional donors, including the preparation of compelling funding applications
- Lobbying and Advocacy
- Develop and implement clear advocacy priorities and objectives, and work with the Board and Membership to pursue these
- Develop power maps of key influencers in relevant institutions so as to develop strong and constructive relationships and network with other NGOs and key decision-makers in target country to lobby for AFRIMUHERE’s objectives
- Represent and or ensure AFRIMUHERE is represented at key stakeholder meetings
- Represent the AFRIMUHERE at lobbying meetings with national and international targets at advocacy events and forums for museology and heritage restitution
- On an ongoing basis, identify strategic opportunities to raise AFRIMUHERE’s policy profile, promote its advocacy messages, and take action accordingly
- Stay alert to changes in the political climate that affect AFRIMUHERE’s mandate and lead discussions and action on how to respond
- Staff management
- Line manage senior staff ensuring that they are supported, developed, motivated, and engaged to perform well in their roles
- Oversight all aspects of people management, particularly legal compliance and provision, staff benefits and retention, safeguarding, recruitment, training, and inclusion
- Person Specification
- Qualifications and Experience
- A minimum of a Master’s degree in museum/restitution studies
- Management position in a cultural or natural heritage institution or department or museum for at least 10 years at regional or international level.
- Proven experience in planning, budgeting, proposal development, staff management, reporting, and project coordination
Demonstrated experience in donor identification, establishment, and management.
- Possesses extensive knowledge of cultural or natural heritage issues and upto date with recent developments in restitution matters.
- Ability and experience in developing project proposals and reports.
- Able to provide training in one or more areas of museology and restitution.
- Ability to articulate, advocate and lobby for issues at national and international levels
- Proficient in French or English (written and spoken). Knowledge of Portuguese, Arabic, and Spanish will be an advantage.
- Should be a national of an African country.
- Endowed with excellent communication, presentation, and computer skills.
- Possession of excellent interpersonal skills and teamwork to maintain effective working relationships with partners and ability to build trust and work in a multicultural environment;
- Ability to interact with a wide range of high-level and international partners and demonstrated partnership development and fundraising experience
- The ability to lead, motivate and inspire the diverse team you work with – building trust and establishing a high-performing, innovative, inclusive culture
Confidentiality: The post holder has a responsibility to maintain confidentiality and ensure the principles of the General Data Protection Regulations.
Information Management/Data Quality: The post holder must ensure that AFRIMUHERE records are documented, secured, stored, and disposed of appropriately.
Equal Opportunities: The AFRIMUHERE welcomes all persons without regard to gender, age, ethnicity, nationality, religion, marital or parental status or disability.
Salary is dependent on qualification and experience. Benefits include housing allowance, medical insurance, terminal benefits, annual leave, and relocation allowance.
Your application package (in word or pdf), should include a CV with names, addresses, telephone /e-mail contacts of three referees, and a motivation/cover letter detailing how you meet the qualifications, experience, and skills requirements for the job you are applying for.
Applications by email should reach the Chair of the search committee at email@example.com by the CLOSING DATE of 31st January 2023
To apply for this job please visit www.afrimuhere.org.